Monday, March 22, 2010

Where Are You Going?


Follow what you are genuinely passionate about and let that guide you to your destination. 
- Diane Sawyer


"Where are you going?" is a question that I often ask people in my daily role as a school principal.  The answers I get vary depending on the person and their interpretation of that very question.  Most people often tell me their destination without much hesitation.  Students tell me that they are going to the cafeteria, bathroom, classroom, etc.  Staff members tell me that they are going home, to a training, or back to their classroom.

Today a student asked me that same question.  My answer was that I'm not sure where I'm going but I'll definitely know when I get there.  The polite student just kept going and is probably still wondering what in the world I was talking about.

I do believe that by following your passions you will end up right where you were supposed to be.  I know for me it is currently in a place that very few thought was ever possible.

I'm very passionate about dispelling myths and proving people wrong in regards to the student achievement of  high poverty students.  I believe strongly that the amount of money in my pocket and the color of my skin have never determined how much I could learn or what I could do in this life.  I'm really not sure where I'm going but I plan of following my passion wherever it leads me.  The journey for me has always been far more exciting than the destination.

What are you passionate about and where is it leading you?

No comments:

Post a Comment