Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Is Being in the Majority a Good Thing?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, 
it's time to pause and reflect."

- Mark Twain

Somebody recently said that they begin to get nervous when people start to agree with them.  I love this quote because it reminds me to continually reflect no matter what side I find myself on.  Complacency can easily occur when you are on the side of the majority.  It is the downfall of many people/organizations.  You have to continually reflect on your practices, beliefs, etc.  How do you do this when the majority of people are telling you that you are doing great and headed in the right direction?  I have two ideas that I find helpful.

1.  TIME - Set aside daily time for reflection.  It is the first thing to get cut out of a busy day but you cannot let it.  Decisions, initiatives, etc. should be continually assessed to determine the effectiveness.

2.  THE VOICE OF REASON/INSANITY - Find someone who gets the work that you do and the direction that you are moving in.  This person is easily identifiable because they never just tell you what you want to hear.  You can also identify this person because they have the innate ability to ask questions that will challenge your thinking.  This person/people will be critical to your continued growth in your journey to be who you were meant to be.

I don't find myself on the side of the majority often.  I think it has a lot to do with setting aside time and having that 'everything' person.  Keep in mind that you really aren't changing/challenging anything if you aren't making someone upset.  How do you continue to push yourself forward? B

No comments:

Post a Comment