All that is valuable in human society depends upon the opportunity for development accorded the individual.
Effective professional development occurs at the intersection of meeting both organizational needs and individual needs. How often does that typically happen in your workplace?
Here are some ideas to begin moving towards more effective professional development in your workplace.
1. Differentiate - One size fits all doesn't meet the needs of your stakeholders
2. Simplify - Choose one focus area the Development Plan
3. Recognize - Tap into individual strengths while raising the bar in other areas
3. Involve - Provide opportunities for individuals to be instrumental in developing their plan
4. Consistency - Avoid the temptation to constantly change your focus
5. Follow Up - Monitor the progress of individual plans through conversations and focused questions
Organizational improvement has ALWAYS been about people improvement. Effective professional development will be the key to your organization's success in the new year.