Monday, April 5, 2010

Priorities, Passion, and a Podcast

"A Great Leader's Courage To Fulfill His Vision 
Comes From Passion, Not Position." 
- John Maxwell

I recently had the privilege of recording a podcast for ASCD on "Examining the Blueprint for Reauthorizing the Elementary Secondary Education Act".  You can read more about it by clicking on the following link.

http://blog.wholechildeducation.org/2010/04/02/upcoming-podcast-reauthorizing-esea/

The podcast airs on April 8th but I thought I'd post a preview of some of the topics that will be discussed.

1. Priorities: The proposed blueprint provide a greater emphasis on administrator accountability.  As an administrator I believe in accountability at all levels.  I've always been open to the idea of a 360 degree evaluation by all stakeholders.  I currently have a boss that conducts my evaluation but my students and our community are the ones that truly count on me.  I believe that all parties should have a voice so why not have a voice in my evaluation.  

2. Passion:  Standards need to be the floor that we walk on and not the bar that we are trying to clear. Schools should be places of passion and not test preparation centers.  We know that all kids are different and yet we try to measure them with the same instrument.  That makes as much sense to me as using a fork to eat soup because it does a good job with other food.  Passion, pride, and performance are the ingredients that have made us a successful school.  We take pride in the things that we are most passionate about.   Embed the essential learning opportunities/standards with a passion-based learning approach.  Engagement will soar along with the minimum standard test scores.

These are just two of the topics that we talked about in the ASCD podcast.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on the proposed changes and their impact on the work that we do.  B

No comments:

Post a Comment